Beautiful skin is not out of reach! Follow these tips for clear, hydrated and radiant skin for your wedding day.
1) Remove Makeup The single most important thing you can do for your skin is let it breathe and remove the day's makeup. Though tempting to just jump into bed, at minimum you should remove your makeup first. A good makeup remover that can break down oil and waterproof makeup is ideal. We recommend Clean & Clear Soothing Eye Makeup Remover for removing even the toughest of waterproof makeup.
2) Cleansing Cleansing is an important part of any skincare routine to remove makeup, oil, dirt and debris from the skin. When you let makeup and oil sit on your skin, you trap skin cells and breakouts occur. We recommend cleansing once a day in the evening after you remove your makeup. Our favourite cleanser is Cerave Hydrating Facial Cleanser which is a gentle cleanser that won't strip skin and is suitable for all skin types.
3) Exfoliation Exfoliation is a crucial step for attaining clear, glowing skin. Exfoliation works by chemically or physically removing dead skin cells on the surface of the skin, revealing smoother, more radiant skin beneath. There are several options for exfoliators on the market, but our favourites are Glossier Solution (chemical) or St. Ives Blackhead Clearing Green Tea Scrub (physical with round silica beads that don't damage your skin barrier or cause micro-tears)
4) Serum A serum is an extra step that targets specific concerns. There are serums for practicially every skin concern out there. In Alberta, we find most of our clients to be dehydrated and oily or dehydrated and flaky. To help boost moisture retention in your skin, we recommend First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum which is an oil and silicone free lightweight serum packed with moisture.
5) Moisturizer Everyone's skin needs a moisturizer whether your skin is oily or dry. If you are oily and do not moisturize, your skin will overcompensate the lack of moisture by producing more oil. If you are dry and do not moisturize, you will find yourself battling rough patches, tightness and flakes. Your skin should never feel tight and uncomfortable. A moisturizer we recommend for all skin types is CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion, which is free of oil and silicones and packed with ceramides. Every client we have introduced this product to has gotten hooked! It's that good!
With some dedication and a little bit of time you can have the best skin of your life! Most of these products are available on Amazon (linked in post) and affordable. Do not let dry or oily skin scare you away from a good routine.